Education System in Australia
Australian Qualification Framework (AQF)
Australia has an integrated nationwide system of qualifications, known as the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF), which is recognized by the Australian Government. Under this, students can move easily from one level of study to the next and receive credit for previous study. It brings together the quality offered at different levels.
Type of institution
There are 41 universities ranging in size from around 3,000 students to 50,000 students – 39 of these are government run. Australian universities offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs in traditional and modern subject areas such as innovative courses in IT, electronic business and science. Australian academics have won prestigious awards, including several Nobel Prizes, and are involved in ground-breaking research.
Courses available at Under Graduate & Graduate Level
Awarded courses vary considerably with the higher education sector in the form of entry requirements, duration and method of assessment. The following awards are offered by Australian Universities:
- Doctoral Degree
- Masters Degree
- Graduate Diploma / Graduate Certificate
- Bachelors Degree
- TAFE Certificate III & IV
- Undergraduate Diploma / Advanced Diploma and
- Associate Diploma/ AQF (Australian Quality Framework) Diploma
- Education : Education Studies, Teaching, Early Childhood, Special Education
- Social Studies : Geography, Behavioral Studies, Welfare And Counseling, Sport And Recreation, Sociology
- Mathematics And Computing :Mathematics And Statistics, Computer Based Information System, Computer Science
- Science : Science Pharmacology, Chemistry, Environmental Science, Biotechnology
- Visual And Performing Arts : Art, Graphic Arts, Fashion Design, Crafts, Performing Arts, Music
- Engineering : Chemical, Civil, Electrical, Electronics, Structural, Mechanical, Automotive, Aeronautical, Mining, Industrial, General Engineering, Computer, Telecommunications, Mechatronics, Polymer, Environmental
- Business Administration And Law : Economics, Accounting, Commerce, Management, Administration, Marketing, Finance, HR Economics, Accounting, Commerce, Management, Administration, Marketing, Finance, HR
- Health Sciences : Nursing, Nutrition, Environmental Health, Personal And Family Health Care, Pharmacy, Veterinary Sci, Public Health, Physiotherapy.
- Agriculture : Agriculture, Forest, Horticulture
- Hospitality & Tourism :Hotel Management, Tourism Management, Commercial Cookery.
- : English, Philosophy, History, Foreign Language Studies, Communications, Psychology
Vocational Education and Training in Australia (VET)
- Australia offers a wide variety of vocational education and training courses. Each year increasing numbers of international students are choosing the TAFE option, either as a means of training and qualifying for a highly skilled job in business, the arts, or industry, or as an alternative pathway into university degree studies. The advantages for international students choosing to undertake TAFE studies are numerous but lower fees is one of the main criteria.
Types of degrees
Bachelor programmes may vary from 3 to 4 years. They are available across all faculties of Arts Commerce, Science, IT
Australia offers a wide variety of choices for post graduate studies .The individual universities offer different strengths and capabilities, providing a diverse base for research for students. Australian Universities pride themselves on a strong research base and sate of the art equipment to their Universities.